*Sung to the tune of Let’s Talk About Sex*
LET’S TALK ABOUT HAIR, BABY! LET’S TALK ABOUT HAIR PRODUCTS AND ME!
hahaha sorry I’m very corny
Probably the #1 thing I get asked about is what hair products I use for my hair. Within this past week I have been asked not once, but TWICE what my hair routine is, so I decided to just make a post with all the products I currently use and the order I use them in.
(DISCLAIMER: These products may not work for your hair type as all natural hair doesn’t react the same to certain products. Sorry :/)
Let’s get started!
- So before I get in the shower, I make sure I have 4 clips to section my hair off so it will be easier to detangle my hair. I also grab my wide tooth comb to make sure everything is REALLY detangled after I finger comb my hair.
- Now I know Shea Moisture is “cancelled” but I still use their products, IDONTCURRR. My hair needs to be washed and their products get the job done! So I use Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea Butter Shampoo & Conditioner, the one that comes in the tan packaging. I’ve used their other brands, like their High Porosity Moisture – Seal line, but I always end up coming back to the original. I think it’s because that’s the main one they sell at drug stores and Target so I just go for that lol. But I like it as well so I just go for what I know.
- My conditioning process is too much to be honest but like I mentioned up there, I use Shea Moisture’s conditioner BUT, as a base for my conditioning. I used to use this by itself but I realized I needed more slip for my detangling process so I combined it with Suave’s Almond Conditioner. I know, BOOO Sulfates! but a little sulfate never hurt nobody! So once I combine the two conditioners I start by finger detangling, then I use my wide tooth comb to finish it off. I put a shower cap on, and let that sit in my hair and continue with the rest of my regularly scheduled shower.
Applying the Products
- Most of the time (98.99999%), I am doing a twist out on my hair. I like my hair to be a little stretched out because the shrinkage is REAL. So the first product I use is the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deep Conditioner. They recommend you wash it out after applying it, but I like to keep it in my hair so it can retain the moisture.
- Next I apply Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I liiiive by this stuff. I swear a main reason my curls be poppin’ is because of this product!
- Oils! Okay so I don’t have a specific kind of oil I use in my hair. I’m still trying a bunch out, but the one I’ve been using lately is Palmer’s Coconut Oil. Honestly you can use whatever oil you like but I enjoy this brand, so I would suggest giving it a try.
- Time to seal everything in! The gel I use is the Blueberry Bliss Curl Control Jelly by Curls. I loveeee this product SO much and the smell is amazing! It is however a little pricey. So if you’re looking for something a little cheaper I would recommend Goddess Curls Botanical Gelle from Curls as well. Both get the job done, I’m just a sucker for the blueberry smell lol.
- Time to apply the twists! I usually apply the products to a section of my hair, put some twists, then move on to the next section. That’s what works for me, but you can also apply the products to all of your hair then do all the twists at once, it’s up to you!
Besides these products, there are a few others I like to substitute in from time to time, or just add to my routine.
- Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey : I like to add this to my routine when I want to add a little more shine to my hair. A little definitely goes a long way with this product.
- Eco Styler Gel : This is my GO TO gel when it comes to laying my edges. This gel is thee bomb.com because it lays my baby hairs to sleep lol. I also use this gel when I’m doing a slicked down look for a bun or ponytail. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque / Shea Moisture High Porosity Moisture – Seal Masque: Like I mentioned before, my conditioning routine is team Too Much, so why not add more to it lol. Usually I use my other conditioners as a deep conditioner, but sometimes I want the real deal, so I buy this.
It took me years to find the right products that worked well with my hair type so don’t get discouraged if your curls aren’t poppin’ from the jump haha. It takes a lot of patience and motivation when it comes to having natural hair, so keep searching for the products that work well with your hair! Till this day I’m still testing out different products. I hope you guys try some of these products and let me know how they worked out for you 🙂